Venue: Chanthaburi Province, Thailand
The objectives of the workshop were:1. To apply the use of indicators as tool to promote participatory mechanism of co-management for coastal fisheries management
2. To build and enhance human resource capacity to encourage participatory mechanism of co-management for coastal fisheries management
3. To foster a practice of participatory mechanism of co-management for coastal fisheries management in the ASEAN region
The participants in the regional workshop were the same as those in the Regional Training Course on Co-management Using Group User Rights for Enhancing Small-scale Fisheries Development and Management on 26 October- 4 November 2009, but with additional participants from Brunei Darussalam (2) and Vietnam (2). This workshop therefore had 13 participants.
The workshop started with the background, objectives and expected outcomes of the workshop presented by Dr. Phattareeya. Then, Dr. Yuttana led the participants to present their respective country reports including the concerned roles, functions and practice of local governmental officials and local organizations/groups involved in collecting data and analysis for coastal resources management.
On 6 November, a workshop was organized at Kung Krabaen Bay Royal Development Study Center in Chanthaburi Province. Moreover, one official from Kung Krabaen Bay Royal Development Study Center and six fishers from Chaolao Small-scale Fishers Group also participated in the workshop. The Head of Chaolao Small-scale Fishers Group made a presentation on Chaolao fisheries, resources enhancement and management activities, crab condominium and data collection. Then, the participants including Chaolao fishers group had a discussion and shared experiences concerning institutional design of co-management for promoting the use of indicators and participation. The participants also shared and bridge indigenous and scientific knowledge, and came up with future activities and identified the role of each party to support the local users in collecting data and assessment. Then the workshop participants raised the following recommendations and conclusion. Dr. Yuttana and Dr. Phattareeya expressed their gratitude to the participants and closed the workshop.
Recommendations and conclusion
- Promote the outcome of the workshop through the local and regional SEAFDEC training programs
- Member Countries should promote the concept of institutional design of co-management for promotion of using indicators and participation
- The workshop on institutional design of co-management for promotion of using indicators and participation should be participated by government officers and local fishers
- SEAFDEC should provide technical assistance in implementation of the national workshop of member countries