Date: 1-4 September 2015
Venue: Rayong Province, Thailand
1. To collect the additional data in order to develop the academic paper for complete RIHN project.
2. To identify the coastal area of Rayong Province, the situation of 3 zone; industry zone, tourism zone and natural zone (mangrove area).
3. To discuss with Department of Marine and Coastal Resources (DMCR) on the conservation activitysupport to Fisher Groups
1. Discussion with Muang District Fisheries Officer
Social team visit Muang District Fisheries office to discuss with Ms. Pairat Jearat, Muang District Fisheries Officer on the situation of Rayong Coastal zone as result of the survey show that the fishing income and catch price differ in each zone. She explained that the fishers in Industrial zone are active fishing compare with the other zones.In addition, the factory of Industrial zone have policy to support the communities in order to conserve and rehabilitate fisheries resources as well as the fisher livelihood by provide fund to the fisher groups for operating group activities such as crab bank, microcredit, fish processing product and releasing fingerling. The factories also give priority for job opportunity to the fisher’s children. After discussion, she accompanies our team to visit Kao Yod Fisher Group to observe Crab Bank activity.
2. Visit Crab Bank at Kao Yod Fisher Group
Crab Bank was established in March 2015 which funding support from Department of Fisheries andMap Ta Phut Industrial Port. There are 30 fishers involve in crab bank activity and they have donated crab with eggs to crab bank around 20-50 crabs per day, the crab will put into tank and waiting for its releasing eggs around two days, then release crab eggs into the sea at night time 8 p.m. The group will sell crab to the middleman and the income will keep for group administration such as electricity bill and water supply etc. besides the group also collect some eggs squid from the fishers waiting for hatching and release it to the Sea. The Fishers think that the crab bank activity could help them to enhance the swimming crab resources due to they can catch more swimming crab after 2 month starting this activity.
3. Discussion on Survey plan
The social team agree and confirm on the categories coastal zone of Rayong into three zone; industry zone, tourism zone and natural zone (mangrove area) that would analyst the result by zone. However, we will collect more information on the trend of catch, trend of catch price, trend of catch size from 5-10 years ago, No. of fishing gear used per trip and source of additional income during low season. The planning decide to collect the data by sample 3 fishers in each fisher group. We plan to discuss with the DMCR of Rayong Province on the support program to the fisher group in term of enhancement and rehabilitate fisheries resources.
4. Discuss with DMCR
The social team visited the Coastal and Marine Resources Research Center of DMCR at Pak Nam Prasae, Klang district and met Ms. Chalatip Junchompoo, Marine Biologist, she explained that the main function of this office is the research work focusing on water quality, conservation and rehabilitation of coral reefs, sea grass, sea turtle and endangered species. Moreover, recently this research center implement the project on Monitor the water quality in Prasae River through promoting community participation to evaluate and improve water quality by using E.M. (Effective Micro-organisms). Then, we visited the Coastal and Marine Resources Conservation Center of DMCR at Phe Sub-district, Muang District where emphasize on conservation and enhancement the resources, the main activities are mangrove plantation, Installation of Artificial reefs, Enforcement, Promoting Fish Enhancing Device and Fish house.
5. Collect additional data from the fishers
The social team collect the additional data from the fishermen of 13 fisher group namely: Ao Makham Pom, Nern Kho, Rua Rop Luang Prasae, Municipal Klang, Khok Laem Tien, Klong Ka Cher, Laem Rung Ruang,Kon Puk, Ban Kao Yod, Pakklong Takuan, Takuan Ao Praduu, Nong Fab and Payoon Fishers group, The main information focus on catch, size, trend of price, fishing gear used and additional income during low season. The total number of fisher respondents is 35 fishers and the results of this survey conclude as follow:
1. There are 31 fishermen agree that the fisheries resources are decreased from last 5-10 years.
2. For the price trend, 25 fishermen think that the price of catch is increasing however, 7 fishermen said that the price of catch are not change from the past and 3 fisher think the price is decreasing.
3. Twenty four fishermen explain that the number of fishermen is increased, 6 of them said that it is not change of the fishermen engagement in fisheries.
4. The main fishing gear of 25 fishermen is crab gill net follow by fish gill net and squid jigging.
5. The average number of Crab gill net that the fishermen use 6 set which combine of 4-6 net and the length of net is around 100 meter/net.
6. Most fishermen use fishing boat with length 6-7 meters.
7. Most fishermen engage in crab gill net that they operate fishing whole year during monsoon season if they cannot go for fishing because of the strong wind, the fishermen will repair fishing boat and preparing fishing gear. Some fishermen use fishing gear more than one type and they will change fishing gear for appropriate season. There are 3 fishermen culturing green mussel.
8. The main fisheries activities that fishermen involved are installation of Fish Aggregate Devices and Artificial reefs, Release fish fingerling, Crab Bank, Mangrove plantation and zoning.
9. PTT Public Company Limited gave compensation to fishermen 30,000 baht after oil spill in the sea near Samed Island. Some factory support fish house to fisher group.
10. The sea food price in the area is depend on the middlemen setting price that related to market price with refer to demand and supply of sea food.
11. Fifteen fishermen think that the size of target species was smaller than the past and 12 fishermen said that the target size is not change.